Monday, February 21, 2011

Perfect President's Day Weekend

Now that I have officially become a government employee, I get to observe all those great Federal holidays in the calendar year starting with Presidents' Day! Will and I had been thinking of going on a bit of a trip since it will be the last time we have a 3 day weekend for a few months, but the holiday sort of snuck up on us before we had a chance to make any big plans. That doesn't mean the weekend went by without some fun times!

Finally! A TV!
 I just received my tax return last week and I was itching to finally purchase a TV for my apartment. So, on Saturday, I went to Best Buy and after shopping around, found that the 40" Dynex set was only $30 more than the 37" that I was intending to buy... so, somewhat guiltily I went ahead and purchased the bigger set and I am definitely enjoying it! I feel a bit spoiled. In the evening, while Will assembled the TV stand I made ginger-soy salmon, asparagus, and sweet potatoes for dinner which we enjoyed eating out on the rooftop garden for the first time!


Picnic Grub!
Sunday, the weather was fantastic (despite being a bit blustery), so Will and I packed a lunch and rode our bikes out to Meeman Shelby state park. Their paved bike trail is nothing like the smooth gentle ride I had imagined! It's a surprisingly treacherous path littered with sudden twists and crazy steep hills which made things much more exciting anyway! Midway through our ride we found a nice picnic shelter and enjoyed our lovely packed lunches on frisbee plates. After lunch, we played a few holes at the fantastic disc golf course they have there which meanders through the woods (creating a lot of trees to obstruct your putt!). The evening closed out with a trip to an Indian restaurant and then to the Hi-Tone for the band "Thee Oh Sees". They're a super fast electric rock/indie group ("Thee Oh Sees" - YouTube) that was we had seen advertised in the Flyer that sounded like fun. They weren't my typical genre of choice, but definitely an excitingly energetic concert to see!

The weekend finished up today with just some down-time around the house as I get ready to get back to the grind tomorrow (and recover from my slightly sore biker behind! Haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment