Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Playing With My Food

In the midst of searching for a new apartment (from hundreds of miles away!), resume revising, and becoming a profession online application filler... I have been continuing to experiment in the kitchen. (Of course!). New recipes and my new love for the gym have been great stress-relievers in this scary, life-being-turned-upside-down time! I have also been working playing with my camera to try and improve the quality of my food pictures. Will bought me a great little light tent and spot lights for Christmas, which have made my amateur efforts at food photography so much more fun! I have a lot to research and a lot to learn... but I am finding that I enjoy it more and more! (Even if it does mean that my meals are never piping hot. Ha!) Here are a few images from the weekend - a blessedly long one thanks to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. I really needed that!
Spicy curry with seitan and mixed veggies!
Curry is such an easy and versatile dish! It makes an easy, low-carb vegetarian meal - something both Will and I can both appreciate it! I've been meaning to write an instruction post on how to make it. In this batch, we picked seitan as our vegetarian protein and added eggplant, bell pepper, and mushrooms for the veggies.
Braised monk fish with salad and roasted cauliflower. Yum!
This fish turned out great!! Monk fish is one of the more "meaty" fish like tuna and salmon, but with a bit more mild flavor. For this one, Will started by sauteing it with oil on the stove-top then adding broth and tossing it in the oven, pan and all. The broth cooks down and infuses it with delicious flavor. Yum.
Mmm... Look at those layers...
Served up with some delicata squash.
I saw this on Kath's blog and knew I had to make it immediately! It's a lasagna layered with pumpkin, kale, goat cheese, and mozzarella. Mmm... Loved it! I am so glad it made about 4 servings so I have plenty to munch on all week. :-)
Hope you are all staying warm and eating well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment