Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit...

I don't know what it is, but I have been on a total bean kick this week. Like, I have honestly eaten beans every night for dinner. Good thing I live by myself and can eat the same thing over and over again! One of the blogs I visit frequently had posted a recipe about some bean and corn dish so I was already craving something with this combo. I bought a few ears of corn at the market on Saturday and combined one ear with a can of black beans, a small can of roasted green pepper, a sprinkle of red pepper, and 1/4 cup of bear in a saute pan. I cooked until warm and wrapped in a tortilla with cheese, salsa, and a bit of plain yogurt. Delish! Trust me, plain yogurt is a totally legit substitute for sour cream. You can't tell the difference once added to the burrito!
Burrito + salad  = super easy and filling dinner!
When I opened my fridge tonight I noticed I had just a little bit of bean/corn mixture left. It wasn't enough to fill a tortilla but just enough to fill a green pepper! Since I had a total of 3 green peppers hiding out in my veggie drawer, I decided to make up another can of black beans and corn to fill them all! This time I just mixed the beans and 1 ear of corn with a few tablespoons of salsa, 2 cloves minced garlic and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Just heat together until thoroughly warmed and the cheese is melted. Spoon into a green pepper whose top and seed have been removed. Top with more shredded cheese and bake @ 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. So easy!!
The great thing about beans (besides the song!) is that they are a fantastic source of fiber and protein (for a vegetarian like me!). Here are a few bean facts...
In 1 cup of black beans there are:
    - 15 grams of fiber (almost 1/2 of the 25-38 grams of fiber recommended daily in the DRIs!)
    - 15 grams of protein
    - 227 calories
    - 20% of the DV for iron

No comments:

Post a Comment