Monday, June 25, 2012

Kale - The New Food Superhero

If you do any blog reading around the internet, I'm sure you will have run into recipes for the dark green veggie that everyone seems to be raving about - kale! After a few disappointing attempts to make kale chips, I decided to try a different approach for eating up a humongous bunch of kale greens I bought last week. One morning I decided I really needed to get started on those greens, so I threw a few leaves of kale in my smoothie for breakfast. I had seen this done before and I had some success doing it with spinach. Let's just say... a little kale goes a long way! My breakfast that morning was a bit too umm, grassy for me. With a little more tweaking, it just might work though!
From this...
to salad in a glass!
After this, I was a little nervous about trying to come up with a different recipe for the rest of my kale. So, I turned to Mark Bittman for help. I decided on his super simple sauteed kale with tomatoes and feta recipe. This one was a winner! Will was in charge of making the delicious tuna salad on top of greens to go with. :-)
For the kale, first cut the stems away from the leaves. Then, chop the stems into 1-inch long strips and saute these in oil until they begin to soften. In the meantime, cut the leaf part of the kale into strips. Toss the leaves into the pan with the stems. Cook until wilted and softened. Stir in 1-2 chopped tomatoes. Once the tomatoes have cooked a minute or two with the greens turn off the heat. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1/3 cup red wine vinegar. Stir. To serve, sprinkle with feta cheese - yum!
Speaking of reading blogs... I came across this one last night called http://spoonforkbacon.com/ and have been drooling over the recipes! Despite the fact that it has bacon in the blog name - ha! 
Want to know something else that I discovered the other week? This super-dark chocolate from Nashville! I keep savoring little squares of it every night for a bit of sweetness after dinner. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment