Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Taking a Day Off

     Sometimes you just reach a point where life has been so chaotic and busy you just have to take a day off. So I did. Will's Mom was here visiting from Albuquerque, NM this weekend, so I used it as a fun excuse to take the day off of work to spend more time with them. Over the course of the weekend, we made sure to try to show her some of the highlights of Memphis like: Beale Street (of course!), the Downtown Farmer's Market, Elegant Farmer Restaurant, and the Botanical Gardens. Needless to say, it was a bit of a busy weekend! (Hence the delayed post...)
    Sunday, I had a fantastic time running the Navy Nautical 10-Miler in Millington with Emily! (Never even knew there was a Navy base here in Memphis-town!). We paced each other the entire way and did better than either of us expected! The race had kind of snuck up on us and we were feeling a little unprepared to be racing 11.5 miles. Eek! Despite that, I think this is probably one of the most enjoyable races I have ever run. The weather was perfect. I had a running buddy to push me the whole race. Part of the course was even flanked on either side by fields of gorgeous galloping horses. Plus, we kept pace with this brawny guy in a wheelchair almost the entire time - he definitely inspired me to just. keep. running and be thankful that I can! The greatest part was the end when I got to see Will's smiling face cheering me on at the finish! It was so sweet of him to drive out and support me. I'm a lucky girl. ;-)
     This is definitely a race I'd consider doing in the future. The only down-side was having to get up at 4:30AM in order to drive to course to race at 6:00! I admit, I was down-for-the-count on the couch later that afternoon. Ha!
We owned those 10-Nautical Miles!!
The time I did get to spend relaxing, I enjoyed sipping coffee and reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. All the books in this series have been so absorbing. It's really hard to put them down at night when I need to go to bed!!

Oh! I also did #2 on my 25 by 25 list and finally signed up for Twitter! It's kind of fun. :-) Come follow me - @DebbietheRD!!
And speaking of days off... I totally took today off from running group! (Shh... Don't tell my coach!) I figured I needed at least one training day to rest before I start back up on the long 6-month journey to the marathon! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment