Friday, October 5, 2012

Love Me Some Lentils!

To kick off fall, I was inspired to finally cook up some of the green lentils I bought ages ago living in one of my kitchen cabinets. I also had picked up a big butternut squash at Whole Foods last week, so I thought I might try to combine the two! It turned out really well - I packed it in my lunch for the rest of the week. You can serve this both warmed or cold! YUM.
 Curried Butternut Squash Lentils
Ingredients:
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tbsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large butternut squash
- Olive oil
Directions;
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Skin and chop butternut squash into uniform 1/2 inch pieces. Lay out cubed squash on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Bake squash for 25-30 minutes or until soft with browned edges.
3. In the meantime, to cook lentils... Heat up water and stock in a saucepan on the stove. Add lentils and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle with curry and S+P. Cover and cook until the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Combine squash and lentils. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment