Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Beauty is in the Little Things

    Spring has officially sprung here in Memphis! The official first day was gorgeous - sunny with a high of 83 degrees! (Northern winters are already becoming a bit of a less intensely chilly memory...) With the nice weather has come many blooming plants and trees, it makes it difficult to go in to work everyday because I just want to savor how beautiful it is outside!
So delicious!!!
  So, the title of this post came from a fortune cookie I got at a little Asian restaurant Will and I ate at on Sunday. I know it's so incredibly cheesy and cliche, but it really is a good thing to remember to pause and consider the little things that make life good. For example, when I wake up in the morning to get up for work, I've been noticing that birds are singing outside now that it has started to warm up and it makes dragging myself out of bed a little less painful... Or I had another successful bread-making venture this weekend. I finally found a recipe that works consistently well. (And I'm beginning to find that kneading bread is a great way to relieve stress!) Plus, the smell of freshly made bread is one of the most intoxicatingly homey scents in the world. Or there is also the enjoyment of the company of a friend... For example, on Friday night, Will and I decided to just stay in, and cook some awesome omelets and sweet potato home fries, and do nothing. :-)
  Finding joy in the day-to-day tasks that I find myself so wrapped up in at work can sometimes be difficult. It is easy for me to sort of get into a routine of feeling like I am not making a difference, that my patient's don't really appreciate me, and that I am not seen as a professional but more of a waitress. Then, I remind myself that it is of utmost importance for me to stay positive in order for my patients to view me in a positive light. No one staying in the hospital is necessarily going to be in a good mood or particularly pleasant, but I need to act in a manner so that my attitude is at it's best so that just maybe I may brightening someone's day, at least for a bit.
They're Serious!
  In other news, to celebrate St. Patty's Day on Thursday Will and I met with my office-mate and fellow RD, Erin, for a Guinness and fish and chips (which was surprisingly delish!). Another evening, I caved and finally tried... fried chicken?!? There's this place called "Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken" down the street that everyone (including Will) raves about.  So, I figured I had to try it at least once since it is "world famous" and all. I confess it was darn good for fried chicken, but I have definitely had my fill of fried meat for long while now... plus, it was fun to eat it "picnic style" at the park along the Mississippi. :-) On Saturday evening, we went to the Spaghetti Warehouse for some awesome Italian food and then sauntered downtown for dessert. While enjoying our ice cream we spotted this interesting sculpture in the Peabody Plaza and decided the man's lap just looked as if it were just asking to be sat on... so I did! (Hopefully, without the security guard noticing!)
See what I mean!
  That's all for now, but I'm sure to keep you updated! :-)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment