Sunday, March 13, 2011

Contentment

Contentment is a concept that I have been pondering of late and seems to fit with my current state as I reflect on the time since I last wrote. My life in Memphis has started to settle down a bit as I become more comfortable with my own routine at work, find ways to entertain myself in the evenings/weekends, and continue to learn to be patient when it comes to making new friends but also stay in touch with the old (which I am shamefully bad at!). I am beginning to feel as if I am "desiring no more than what one has" which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Now that I am finally finished with school and I have no "next big thing" to work towards, it has been nice to begin to enjoy "where I am now".
Beautiful Bread!
Some of the things I have been enjoying lately:
1. I finally made a superb loaf of homemade whole wheat bread last week! After about 4 different, less than perfect loaves/recipes, I finally found one that was just fantastic. This last week, I've enjoyed some of the most delicious PB&J's!
2. Last weekend, Will and I went on a bit of a shopping adventure. I was able to score a few new outfits for work which I desperately needed. Will purchased some new aquatic friends, ie. glow fish, and just put the finishing touches on a creatively artsy aquarium (which should be unveiled on f-book soon I think...).
Look out for flying necklaces!
3. This weekend was pretty chill. I had picked up a bit of a cold so I was glad for the chance to rest. Although, we did venture out on Saturday for the St. Patrick's Day/Mardi Gras parade on Beale Street! This small shin-dig consisted of an assortment of floats and cars loaded with patrons besmirched in green who whipped Mardi Gras beads at the people lining the street. (And I mean whipped! Haha.) I left with only 2 necklaces as we were towards the end of the line of the parade but mostly because I was so scared of getting hit in the face I had my eyes closed when they were throwing (which makes catching difficult!). We also caught the flick Cedar Rapids which stars the actor who plays Andy from "The Office" and John C. Reilly. It was just as funny as I had hoped!
4. Spring has begun to arrive here in Memphis! Trees are blooming, the days are getting warmer and longer, and they have turned on the fountains in Will's apartment community. :-)
April is shaping up to be an exciting month. The first weekend, I have plans to meet my friends Erica, Bird, and Lydia in Nashville which will be a blast. The Memphis Farmers Market starts up again in late April. Will and I just purchased tickets to see Arcade Fire on the 28th at the Orpheum Theater. They are one of the first bands to play for the long line-up of groups here to kick off Memphis in May! (Of course there will be pics and blog posts for all!)
My Fun Times Companion :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment