Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pizza What?!?!

I'm not sure if any of you had come across this on the internet yet... so I thought I'd share! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics sends out this daily email of links for various nutrition-related things online. In the last couple of weeks, articles were posted about both of these absolutely absurd new Pizza Hut dishes...
Crown Crust Cheeseburger Pizza
Hot Dog Stuffed Crust
Seriously?! Can you make my job any harder Pizza Hut? (Or maybe I should be thanking them for ensuring my job security. Hmm...). It does make it tough to help patients eat healthier, lose weight, and control their diet-related health conditions when fast food is so convenient and so terrible for you! Plus, I can't even count how many times I hear, "But I don't know how to cook" every week. Let me tell you - it is much faster and cheaper to just make yourself a turkey sandwich at home than to drive/walk/bike all the way to a restaurant to over-indulge on this junk. Oi.
This morning, I came across this interesting article posted by another blogger. It's about a case that the North Carolina Board of Nutrition/Dietetics is filing against this blogger who was claiming to be a nutrition expert who knew the diet cure for diabetes --> see article here. He was also providing counseling to readers who would write him with different questions about their blood sugars - dangerous territory indeed. I understand that this may make many food bloggers concerned the dietitians are just out to get them if they ever give any advice on diet - but it's not so. The hard part about being a professional in nutrition is that everyone feels they have some advice to offer when it comes to food because, we all eat and food seems so simple. However, when someone is offering advice as an "expert" to people with diabetes, or crohn's, or heart disease - then it is definitely a reason for us as a profession trying to maintain our status to pursue some kind of repercussion for those situations. You're allowed to blog and say "This is what I eat and it works for me", the issue is when you say, "This is what I eat and since it works for me, it will work for you. So, everyone should eat just like me.".
Anyways, that article was something interesting to mull over a bit this morning! Now, I'm off to DALLAS for an oncology nutrition conference this weekend! I'm so excited!

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't sold on the Hot Dog Stuffed Crust until I saw the Mustard Drizzle... can you post a link to places I can buy this wonder-product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the cheeseburger one was only created for Pizza Huts in the Middle East - the hot dog one in the UK. Looks like you may need to plan an international summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete