Saturday, November 12, 2011

15 Things for Saturday

What's up with the monkey?
1. Thursday night, Will and I went to see David Sedaris do some readings of his stories live. He's so funny, cute, and quirky. He was get flustered at times and just go "oops... oops...". Also, he kept a pencil in his shirt pocket and would actually edit on stage as he read. If you are wondering who he is... you should look up one of his podcasts or an audiobook of one his works like Me Talk Pretty One Day or Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. One of the things that he does so well as an author is that he can really develop even average seeming people into fantastic characters. I walked out of the auditorium feeling inspired to write more - especially in my journal! (Which has been sadly neglected the last few months...)
2. Remember how I mentioned reading Sarah's Key a few weeks ago? I saw another book by Tatiana de Rosnay called A Secret Kept. Like Sarah's Key, this book involved a lot of flashbacks/forwards as you follow middle-aged Antoine Rey in his quest to discover more about the mother he never got the chance to know well. Definitely one to check out!
3. I loved this post "10 Real-Talk Blog Tips" by Joy the Baker. She's kind of like my blogging idol.  So inspiring.
4. Sometimes you just have a really bad day. Wednesday was one of those days. I just happened to have a lot of very vocal, unhappy patients and at one point I just felt like "I just can't. please. a-n-y-o-n-e!!". Being a dietitian at times is a bit like being a waitress in that you take all the slack for when the kitchen messes up and the food doesn't come out right. Oi. I think by the next afternoon I had things sorted out.
5. Last Saturday and again today, I tried fueling with a GU Gel for on my long run. It's a lot like candy toothpaste. (Did you ever get the cotton candy flavor toothpaste when you were a kid?!) So, it's kind of weird but it was definitely a lot easier to get down than any other other things I've tried so far!
6. Can I just say that I absolutely adore Zoe Deschanel and her new show New Girl! It makes me look forward to Tuesday night!
7. Cely from the blog, Running Off the Reeses is absolutely hilarious. I often open up her blog in the mornings before I head to work to start off my day with a few funny thoughts.
8. This was my first week precepting my first intern! I was sooo nervous on Monday! I think it has been going pretty well though. I feel like it could be so rewarding to see all these interns improve and learn throughout the internship. :-)
9. I brought out my "Link boots" this week. (That's right. I just made a nerdy Nintendo reference... haha.)
10. Vet - "I'm not a 5 year old girl. Stop trying to feed me like one!". (BTW - the diet he was on provides 2400-2600 kcals... so, yeah.)
11. Will and I saw this sign in front of the church that hosts the Cooper Young Farmers' Market today. I couldn't help chuckling...
I totally need to start going here now! My bike could use a tune-up...
12. Peppermint White Chocolate Mochas are back at Starbucks. Yum!!!!
13. Love advice from my patients = hilarious. This came about Friday for example: Vet: "You married?". Deb: "Um, no. But I'm dating". Vet: "How old are you?". D: "24". Vet: "What's that boy waiting for?! If I were younger, I'd cook for you. Put about 14 lbs on you. Put you in a set of heels and your guy would be sorry he didn't ask already!" D: Umm... (And that's when this conversation rapidly turned from entertaining to incredibly awkward...). 
14. I got a speeding ticket on Union last weekend for going 5 miles over the speed limit. Seriously?! 
15. After my third attempt to make kale chips failed last night, I think I give up. You win Kath (of Kath Eats) and Deb (of Smitten Kitchen)! You go eat your perfectly baked kale. :-/ Haha! Kidding! (sort of...)

This looks like it's going to be a crazy busy week! A potluck, tea party, intern presentations, graduation, book club, and one last 13 miler before race day. Whew!!  Hope y'all are enjoying your weekend as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment