Saturday, November 26, 2011

Worst Luck Ever!

Now, I always figured that I was a pretty good, model citizen and a relatively safe driver. I mean I pay my bills, my taxes, I follow the law. Well, I guess I'm wrong. In the last month I've been pulled over 3 times! Give me a break! I'm beginning to think that the Memphis police force has it out to get me! Here's what went down.

Pull-over #1: After meeting with my running group on the Greenline for a 10 mile run, I was happy to be heading home to hit the shower. I was cruising down Union Street which has a speed limit of 35 miles/hr. I always thought the rule was that as long as you were within 5 miles of the speed limit you were ok. Obviously not! I got busted for going 40. :-(
Pull-over #2: On Thanksgiving, I was really craving a cup of Starbuck's holiday blend. I was parked on the street in front of my apartment building and today, like most days, I swung out of the space and made a U-turn to head towards downtown. Sitting at the red light at the corner was a cop who immediately flagged me down. I seriously was still 500 feet from my house! According to this officer, it is illegal to make a U-turn from a park. Really?! He let me off with just a warning. Probably because it was Thanksgiving. But really?! I can't do anything!
Pull-over #3: Yesterday, after work, Will and I stopped at Walgreens so I could return my movie to the Redbox, which is located outside. After dropping the movie, we went to leave without even entering the store. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, a cop comes speeding into the turning lane and I move into traffic. As I near the red light on the corner I see that the cop has turned around to follow me and pull me over. He jumps out of his car, gun in hand, and orders me to shut off my vehicle and get out of the car with my hands up. What?! I did as I was told and he walks around the car to do the same to Will! Meanwhile we are parked in the turning lane of a busy intersection within just a block from where I work. What a great thing for my boss to see both Will and I pulled over with our hands in the air! Apparently, the cop was called to pull over a black Jeep Cherokee from Walgreens as whoever it was had just picked up some illegal prescription. Cause, you know, a green Jeep Patriot is close enough. I had never been so scared!! Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Welcome to my life!

1 comment: