Monday, January 30, 2012

Bust Your Booty!

Want to know a secret to injury-free running that I recently learned? Strong runners have strong butts!! That's right. Your behind becomes very important when you are trying to prevent knee/hip injuries. After struggling with "runner's knee" or chondromalacia these last few months I've learned this lesson - but that was only after hundreds of squats, wall sits, step-ups, leg lifts, yoga, lunges... did I mention squats?? Gradually, with the assistance of my friend - the ice pack, and dozens of Advil, I think I am finally on the mend - and hopefully stronger for it! I found this video of pylometrics that is an awesome (and intimidating!) workout that I have been meaning to start doing semi-regularly. Note: I love how this guy seems to be struggling to not chuckle when he says the word "butt" over and over in the first few minutes. Lol.



Ahh... for the love of squats!!! :-)
Here are a few other things I've learned since joining StarRunners!

  • Strength training really is important! It was sooo disappointing to be sidelined for the St. Jude half-marathon so I am determined to never repeat the experience. Hence, I became much more serious about squats, truly resting on rest days, and making sure to show up to my yoga dates with Jillian Michaels on Mondays and Wednesdays.
  • Fueling is tricky. The last few long runs I've done, I have taken Gatorade along with me and felt much more energized throughout the whole run. I think there is something to the idea of continuous glucose rather than big boluses of it in the form of a gel. On my 10-mile run this past weekend, I did both (Gatorade and gel), and that worked really well! (I didn't feel like I wanted to just stop and lie down on the cement at mile 7.5 - Yay!). 
  • Good conversation really can make a difficult run be so much less tortuous. The miles go by so much faster! Plus, knowing that I get to see my friends makes training so much more fun. :-)
  • If the shoe fits... Getting fitted for a running shoe is another big step in the right direction for preventing injuries! For a bit there I was having some arch aches, but I forked over the cash for a fitting and a new pair of shoes; it helped so much! Superfeet insoles also really helped alleviate the discomfort by offering a bit more support.
  • Carb-loading the night before a long run is crucial! Once or twice I shared a low-carb meal with Will and then paid for it the next morning on my long run! I felt like I was running on fumes! Now, I don't go crazy, but I do always try to include a bit of carbs in my Friday dinner meal - even if it is dessert! (My favorite!)
  • I have so much more to learn! Only when I joined StarRunners did I really start working on speed work - 800's, fartleks, matching your race/goal pace, etc. (Except, I have held off on the speedwork of late due to injury, but I hope to be back at it soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment