Thursday, February 23, 2012

Macaroni + Cheese = Match Made in Heaven!

A few days ago I had a major craving for some macaroni and cheese. I haven't really ever made it from scratch by myself. Charis and I made it together a couple of times in Cleveland - so it's been way too long since I had my fix! I went to Mark Bittman for the recipe. Let me warn you, this is definitely not the recipe to use if you want to go low fat! I did try to "health-it-up" by throwing in some sauteed broccoli - mmmm....
Pile of cheese!
Noodles and Broccoli
Cheese Sauce!!! Mmmmm!
Baked and ready to serve!!!
Bittman Baked Macaroni and Cheese!
Ingredients:
-2 1/2 cups milk
-1/2 tsp dried thyme and rosemary
-1 pound whole wheat ziti
-3 tbsp butter
-3 tbsp flour
-1 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Colby and Havarti)
-Black pepper to taste
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 floret of broccoli
-1/3 cup vegetable broth
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add noodles to water and cook according to package directions.
2. Heat the milk and thyme/rosemary in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until small bubbles from along the sides. Cook about 5 minutes and let stand.
3. In a skillet, heat olive oil and toss broccoli in it. Add the broth and simmer until the broth is almost all evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In another small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until foamy. Add the flour and stir vigorously. Continue to stir and cook until it start to brown then add the milk 1/2-3/4 cup at a time. Continue to stir and cook until it begins to thicken. Continue to cook until thick and smooth. Add the shredded cheese and stir until it is incorporated in the sauce.
5. Pour noodles and broccoli into 9"x13" baking pan. Pour cheese sauce over noodles/broccoli and stir until well mixed. Bake for 15 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
Serve along side a pile of salad! Yum!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment