Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Warm Beet Quinoa Salad

Summer is almost here and the farmers market is bursting with tasty fruits and veggies! One vegetable I'm loving now? BEETS! When I've made them with Will in the past we just wrapped them in aluminum and baked them until fork-tender. Unfortunately, I ran out of foil at home and I really wanted some beets! So, I just boiled them until soft.  One word of advice, don't do what I did in the past and try to chop them when still raw! These guys are super tough and I walked around with purple fingers for at least a day. Ha! After they were finished I just peeled the skin away and chopped them all up to add to salads/dishes throughout the week.
Like this!
Today for dinner, I threw some beets into some quinoa. A delicious combo! Easy too. 
Warm Beet Quinoa Salad
Serves 2
Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup chopped beets
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers
- Salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste
Directions:
1. Bring stock and water to boil in small saucepan. Add quinoa and simmer covered for ~10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. 
2. Stir in all the other ingredients and serve!
Feta or goat cheese would surely be awesome additions - I sadly didn't have any on hand. 

1 comment: