Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sometimes You Just Need a Cookie!

     The weekend is almost here!! I can't believe how fast the weeks just seem to fly by. Now that I'm a real (?) working adult (no more summer, Christmas, or Easter vacation! :-/ ), I am beginning to really cherish my weekends.This weekend should be pretty chill as we gear up for the excitement of Memphis in May next weekend! :-)
   The Office is on again tonight. Steve Carrell's last days are quickly drawing to a close. In Cleveland, Charis and I used to go to our friend Neal's house every week bearing brownies or other treats to watch it. (I miss those days!) Tonight, I am heading over to Will's. He had a bit of a stressful/frustrating day so what better cure than some homemade chocolate chip cookies? Even though I'm a dietitian and I know that cookies are "bad" there's just no replacing a buttery, melt-in-your-mouth, just out of the oven chocolate chip cookie! I love adding walnuts and oats to mine to, you know, up the "healthiness" factor. Haha.
Mmmmm....

     In other news... I donated blood today at work. Every time there's the opportunity to donate, I debate about whether I should volunteer. Normally, I talk myself into it, not out of a feeling of do-good-ness but mostly because I am just curious about my iron status... They always check your hemoglobin level before you give to make sure you're not anemic and every time they test me I am secretly hoping I will be anemic so I don't really have to go through with the whole donation thing.  So far though, I've always been good to go. When I gave today, it reminded me of a funny story from my internship when I went to donate blood with my friend Christine. She was sent to a chair first and the nurse poked her arm and everything seemed good. The nurse then came over to my chair to poke my arm. As she inserted the needle, I closed my eyes and upon opening them again, my mouth dropped and my eyes popped out of my head as I was horrified to see that the front of Christine's shirt was covered in blood!!!!  When the nurse adjusted her needle, some blood had squirted out across her shirt! It was probably one of the freakiest things I've ever seen. She mostly got a huge kick out of the face I made when I saw her. Lol. Luckily, she had another shirt to wear so she didn't have to walk around the hospital the rest of the day looking like someone coming straight out of a horror film! Haha.
    I'm beginning to feel like I may really enjoy living here in Memphis. It's almost been 4 months since I moved so it's about time I start to feel a bit more settled in. This evening I was pleasantly surprised by one of my neighbors with this little "Welcome to Memphis, neighbor" gift certificate and awesome pint glass (I had been needing on of those!) from a local bike shop. I was flabbergasted when he dropped it off! I was such an incredibly kind gesture! He said he saw Will and I with our bikes in the hall over the weekend when we were fixing my flat tire and he wanted to give us a little something to welcome us to the apartment/city. It's little acts of kindness like this that make me want to be a better person. More often I should be thinking, "How can I make someone's day today?". I know my neighbor made my day today! :-)
So sweet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment