Friday, September 23, 2011

Banoffee Pie = Potluck Success

With increasing frequency, I catch myself starting sentences with "I saw this _______ on a blog the other day..." in my day to day conversation. :-) So, when I saw the recipe for this banoffee pie posted on eatliverun.com I knew I needed to share! (Hence the new conversation starter!) We had a potluck on Wednesday at work, so it was the perfect opportunity to try something new. Plus if it turned out to be delicious I wouldn't have a lot of leftovers crying out "eat me!" 24-7 from my countertop. One note of warning... the internet likes to share scary things about boiling the condensed milk can - I was little nervous I would end up with a toffee bomb on my stove but no sweet explosions this time! Oh, and I just went BIG and made the crust myself too!! I had forgotten how simple it is to make a pie crust!
Banoffee Pie
(Complements of this recipe from eatliverun.com)
Ingredients:
-1 can sweetened condensed milk
-3 bananas
-CoolWhip
-Brown sugar and sea salt for sprinkling
For the pie crust:
-1/2 cup butter, chilled
-1 1/4 cups flour
-1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup ice water
Directions:
1. Place unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan. Fill the saucepan the majority of the way full with water (filling so the can is 3/4 of the way submerged). Place on stove and bring water to boil and cover. Let it boil on the stove for ~2 1/2 hours. (Yeah, that's right - 2 1/2 hours)
2.  To make the pie crust, mix flour and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to flour. Mix flour and butter (I used my fingers) until make crumbles. Add water 1 tbsp at a time until the dough forms a ball. Chill dough for 1-2 hrs. Then roll dough out on the counter and lay in  a greased pie pan. Use a fork to make the edges look nice and to poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes (until it begins to brown). If the pie crust starts to puff up in the oven, place something heavy (I used a small plate) in the pan to keep it flat.
3. Once your milk and crust have cooled a bit, spread a layer of toffee on bottom of crust, add sliced bananas and top with the rest of the toffee. When ready to serve, spread layer of whipped topping on top and sprinkle with brown sugar and sea salt. Voila! Prepare for a party in your mouth. This pie was sooo good!

Now, I am off to the airport to fly north to PA!!!

3 comments:

  1. DEB! I just made banoffee 2 days ago. My recipe was a bit simpler, but still delicious:

    1. Crush digestive biscuits (Irish version of Graham crackers, but SO much better).
    2. Mix digestives with melted butter and press into bottom of a pan to make a "digestive crust"
    3. Set in fridge for 20 min to harden

    4. Pour one can Nestle's Carnation caramel sauce over crust
    5. Slice 4 bananas on top
    6. Top with freshly whipped cream
    7. Sprinkle with "Flake" (beautiful Irish milk chocolate)

    ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!
    Tony and I had this for breakfast today =) Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this the other day too and want nothing more than to eat it all up, however I was skeptical about boiling the whole can of condensed milk also I just didn't see good things coming from that. If it worked for you maybe I'll give it a try some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your version sounds so good Charis! I'll have to try that one! Minus the digestive biscuits of course...

    ReplyDelete