Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pause

The other night I went for a walk alongside the river. Just to enjoy the sunset. Too often I realize that I don't take the time to slow down and just be chill for a bit. It was nice to just wander along the Riverwalk with my headphones on. No agenda. No distance or pace to try to meet as if I were on a run. Finally, I had time to think through some of the things that have been frustrating me about work, where I feel like I always need to be cautious not to step on anyone's toes. I also considered some of things I'm really thankful for. Things that I'm looking forward to.

-I'm so pumped about heading home next weekend for my cousin Emily's wedding! I haven't been home in awhile.
-I've felt truly appreciated lately by the guys I work with in the substance abuse/PTSD ward lately. They've all been really vocal about how much they appreciate me stopping in, gathering food preferences, and being cheerful! It has made me feel valued.
-Chocolate chip cookies fix almost any problem. Really.
-I went the to orhopaedic foot doctor (my arch is feeling much better!) and I got this hott boot to wear at night. I was right about having plantar fasciitis. Oi. I tried it out yesterday and it is really hard to sleep in. It feels like I'm trying to drag an anvil around the bed with me! Haha.
You know you want one...
-A multi-story library of books to check out! The latest one I finished was this one called Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan. I picked it up because I had heard good things about it on another blog. It took me awhile to get into it and I still wasn't sold by the end. To me, if just felt like 300ish pages about the dirty details of one family's drama. The whole time I just wanted to yell at the characters, "Grrr! Why can't you all just get along!!!!"
-A renewed fascination with the hilariousness that is The Oatmeal. This one titled "airplane" had me chuckling all day long! Hmm, better be careful people don't think I'm crazy laughing to myself all day! Oops!
-Zoe Deschanel show "New Girl" premiered this week! I totally adore her. :-)
-Cooper Young 4-Miler tomorrow night!! I'm so nervous! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your run Deb! And good job with your patients. I know it's hard because you probably don't feel like you're using your 6 years (or 60k dollars) when all you're doing is obtaining food preferences (I felt the same way on the Psych floor), but I really do think it makes their day. So why not?! I miss you, and need to call you soon! OH and I NEED book recommendations, I ride on the bus for early 2 hrs a day!

    ReplyDelete