Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cooper Young Fun!

ie. "Hipster-ville" Memphis-style
Before I start, I must warn you that there may be a terrible picture (or two) of me coming up! I just don't understand how some girls can look so cute when they are running. Most of the time, I don't give much thought to what I look like when I'm going for a run because I figure - what's the use? In this humidity, I get so sweaty it seems pointless to try... that is until I see pictures of myself from a race!!! Eek. Ok. Back on track. This weekend was the long awaited Cooper Young 4-Miler. :-) Cooper Young is a neighborhood in Memphis that reminds me a lot of Coventry in Cleveland (which I miss!). Lots of cute little restaurants, thrifty clothing boutiques, and a coffee shop or two. Anyways, this race kicks off their annual festival.
Before the race, the running group I've been training with got together for a picture.
Go Star Runners!
My time was 34:03. I know that's not super fast... I don't even pretend to be a fast runner, but I was content with it. Here's me booking it in at the finish line. Happy to be almost done! (Take note... Deb does not = cute runner. lol.)
Glamour shot!
Afterwards, I refueled with some tasty Mexican food at Cafe Ole just down the street. 
I was obviously excited to eat!
On Saturday, I got up early to go to work for a couple hours to educate this one patient who was going home that day on tube feeding. Afterwards, I shopped the farmers market and then did my shift at the pet sitting tent! :-)
That afternoon, Will and I biked back to Cooper Young to check out the festivities. The streets were lined with vendors hawking an overwhelming amount of crafts! After wandering around a few hours, Will and I left with a few new books in tow (yep. We're nerds...) and a couple of lemon basil cookies (Mmmm...) from a bakery opening soon in the neighborhood. On our way out, we took a pic by this iconic wall art. 
Not sure I can really say I love Memphis, at least not yet. Perhaps I've got to give it a bit more time to grow on me. The rest of this week has been busy, busy! Last night I had a refreshing dinner at this little Italian place called Cortona for book club. We briefly chatted about The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins over pasta and wine, but mostly the subject at hand was... well, life. StarRunners was this evening and the rest of the week I'm getting everything in order to head home for Emily's wedding!

BTW- Here's a not-so-haggard picture. Just a little reassurance that I can clean up! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment