Sunday, December 11, 2011

On My Bookshelf

Since I am still nursing my knee injury, I've had a bit more free time to devote to one of my other hobbies... READING! Here's a few of the books I've been perusing of late.
Let's start at the bottom...
Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult - To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Picoult, I feel like she writes about controversial, heart-touching topics just to get a lot of books sold. On the other hand, she does know how to grab your attention and keep it until the end. This particular one was about a couple split apart by the stress of trying to have a child through IVF and the new lives they build post-divorce.
Swamplandia by Karen Russell - It took me a while to get into this one, but once I did, I thought it was pretty fantastic. Russell is a really, really good writer. The tale is about the Bigtree family and their failing alligator farm/amusement park in the Florida Everglades. Most of the story is centered on the "coming-of-age" of Ava and the lengths she goes to try to hold her family and the farm together.
The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi - This was our October book club read which I wasn't sure if I had mentioned before. Preston outlines the details of the murders of a yet un-caught serial killer that haunted the hills of Florence from 1960-1980s. Honestly, I only made it halfway when I lost interest because all the murders had been committed (terrible, I know!) and the last half just centered on rehashing the events in the courtroom. However, if you are the type that loves watching CSI re-runs, this is definitely a book for you!
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes - Will gave this to me to read, and I honestly enjoyed reading it! Taubes does a fantastic job of reviewing evidence/research behind the obesity epidemic and how the only clear solution is to follow a basically no-carb diet with lots of fat and protein. I'm not completely convinced yet (I'm not ready to give up oatmeal and cookies!), but his argument is definitely compelling!
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Originally, I picked this one up at the library because I had figured I should read it because it's a "classic". I made it about half-way through before I put it down because I was starting to get creeped out... I don't want know what goes through the mind of a pedophile. Eeek! No thank you.
The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht - This was a FANTASTIC book!!!! It was seriously glued to my face all week. I love how Obreht uses folk tales (like "the tiger's wife" and the "deathless man" to unravel the events of the life of Natalia's recently deceased grandfather. So touching. Seriously, this is a book that is definitely worth reading!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment