Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm Feeling... Red!

Last week, one of the many blogs I now follow (eatliverun!) posted a recipe for Beet Risotto. I was totally intrigued by the photos of this rich red pot of creamy rice and figured I should give it a shot! For awhile now I had been in the mood to experiment a little in the kitchen and this recipe turned out swell. :-)
Beets are one of those foods that you turn your nose up to when you are a kid and then learn to appreciate them as you get older. I remember one of the summers I went to PA to visit my grandparents when I was around 11ish and picked up a can of beets and begged for them to be added to the cart. My Grandma was thoroughly boggled by my sudden obsession/need for beets, but she allowed me to get them anyway. In my little head, I was thinking that I had picked up that strange, jello-y cranberry sauce from a can that is a Thanksgiving staple. (I know, I was kind of a weird kid!) Imagine my utter surprise when I finally did sit down to my little bowl of "cranberries" expecting to taste the sweetish-tartness I was craving and instead... tasting beets! Ugh! No wonder I avoided them like the plague for years (until last year in fact!).  Now, I can honestly say I’ve gotten over my traumatic beet/cranberry mix up and thoroughly enjoyed this beet risotto.  :-) In fact, the recipe made so much I took some leftovers to Will's the next night and we paired it with an Orange Cauliflower and Bean puree. Talk about "tasting the rainbow"!
So, give it a try. I'm sure you'll love it too. --> Beet Risotto Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment