Monday, May 2, 2011

Memphis = Music

The last few days have been such a flurry of crowds, humidity, mud, and MUSIC! When I moved here, I thought all Southerners only listened to country and/or Western (is there a difference?!) music, but my preconceived notions are proving to be quite wrong. Which is definitely a good thing!!! Here's a recap of the weekend's events. :-)
    Thursday, Will and I headed to the Orpheum theater just down the street from my apartment to see Arcade Fire. They put on one of the most entertaining concerts I have ever seen! It was definitely worth every penny. It just amazes me how incredibly talented they all are as a band because all of the members were constantly switching instruments between songs. If you can't play at least 5, there's no way they'd let you join! Haha. There were even a few new instruments I had never even heard of such as: a glockenspiel and a hurdy-gurdy. (That is so much fun to say!!!).

View from our balcony seats
       Friday kicked of the first weekend of the infamous "Memphis in May" at Riverfront park. Literally thousands of people flocked downtown for these live, open air concerts. I never fathomed it would be such a huge event! This first night we saw Cake, MGMT, and The Flaming Lips perform. The Flaming Lips definitely know how to entertain! During the course of their concert they released hundreds of balloons, tons of confetti, and had a stage loaded with random characters including: Dorothy, the Tin Man, and Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz, a man in a bear suit, an inflatable butterfly and more. Plus, the lead entered the stage and crowd surfed in a giant inflatable ball! Soooo ridiculous!!!
Flaming Lips Craziness!
      Saturday was just as entertaining. I finally got to see Mumford and Sons who by far put on the best concert as far as music quality. They are obviously really talented. They sound just as incredible live as they do on cd. I was so impressed. They played a lot of new songs which I am so going to have to get my hands on! Other notables from the day were Ludacris, Hinder, and Ke$ha (who we could only stand watching for half a song...lol).
Mumford and Sons... swoon!
Sweaty and exhausted... but so worth it!
Sunday I had to work/cover the weekend so it has been an intense and tiring last few days! Whew. I'm still trying to recover. Haha.

Wish you could have been here! Start saving for tickets to come down next year. You hear?! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment