Monday, August 8, 2011

Eating Local Means Being Flexible

As the summer progresses, the offerings at the farmer's market have seasoned as well: spring greens, kale, raspberries, nuts, and plums have given way to sweet corn, squash, eggplant, figs, peaches, melons, and tomatoes! Therefore, my meals have had to adapt with the season since I have been trying to buy all of my produce (minus bananas!) at the market. Since salad greens can't take the heat, I had to come up with something to replace my usual lunch salad. Will had mentioned making a cucumber-tomato based salad so I ran with that idea yesterday. Here's the result. :-)
Dinner is Served!
Mid-summer Tomato-Cucumber Quinoa Salad
Ingredients:
-2 small cucumbers, chopped
-2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
-2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
-1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
-3 tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 clove garlic, chopped
-3-4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
-Salt and pepper
Directions:
Combine all the ingredients well in a bit happy salad bowl and enjoy! It gets even better the next day after everything has had time to marinate together in the fridge. :-0
Now, I have a super easy lunch ready-to-go for me all week! Boo-yah!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's awesome you are eating local! My current task is to eat the contents of my freezer before we move!

    ReplyDelete