Wednesday, August 3, 2011

On the Menu

I thought I might catch you up on a few of the tasty things I have been munching on of late. :-)
Carrot Cake Overnight Oatmeal
It may look boring, but let me tell you, it's sooo tasty! You see, I had shredded too many carrots when I made those fiber-licious muffins I had told y'all about earlier. I saved the extra shreds and had a revelation when I opened my fridge later in the evening.I was staring at my leftovers trying to come up with "mix-ins" to put in my oatmeal for the morning. Lightbulb!!
In this bowl:
-1/4 cup of shredded carrots
-1/4 cup yogurt
-1/4 cup skim milk
-1/2 cup oats
-A few raisins
-A sprinkle of cinnamon
-A bit of honey swirled on top!
Yum, yum, yum!

Magical Color Changing String Beans
From Purple....
TO
Green!!!
I picked up these beans at the market the other week because... I mean, who wouldn't want to try purple beans? Plus, it's so much fun to see them change color as you steam them!

Thai-Spice Infused Curry!
Will picked up some new cast iron cookware this weekend and he invited me over to try out his new stock pot with a bit of curry. As usual, this one was chock full of veggies! This time around we included eggplant, green beans, red onion, and zucchini. Delish! 

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Zucchini (What?!) Bread
 I had picked up a few zucchini at the market the other week and they were neglected in my vegetable drawer because I just couldn't come up with anything creative to do with them whenever I was cooking dinner. So, I made them into dessert! :-) Of course! I used this recipe I found on tastykitchen.com. 
Ingredients:
-3 eggs
-1 cup vegetable Oil 
-2 cupsGranulated Sugar
-1 TablespoonVanilla
-2 cups Shredded Zucchini 
-1 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
-1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
-½ cupBaking Cocoa
-1 teaspoon Salt
-1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
-¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
-1 teaspoon Baking Soda
-1 cup Chocolate Chips

Directions: 
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and add it to the zucchini/egg mixture. Mix well. Pour into 2 well-greased loaf pans. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until bread tests done.

Simple Spaghetti Squash Saute
I wanted to experiment a bit this week with a different veggie, so this little spaghetti squash caught my eye. :-) Here's how I fixed it!
Directions:
Cut spaghetti squash in half and place in shallow glass dish. Microwave for 6-8 minutes (or however long it takes your microwave to soften the squash). Remove seeds from squash. Use fork to scrape the insides of the squash, separating the "strands". Heat up a tablespoon (or so) of butter in a skillet. Add a clove of chopped garlic to melted butter in pan and cook a few seconds until fragrant. Add, squash strands to pan and saute until butter and squash are incorporated together. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and shredded cheese.  Enjoy!

PS- Want to know something wonderful that has made my life (and blogging especially!) so much better?! Will "indefinitely" loaned me one of his older laptops! (He's so sweet!) Let me tell you, it is infinitely better than mine! No more will I have to cross my finger while I am working on my computer hoping it doesn't overheat! Yippee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment