Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekend Recap: Music and Miles...

First, the music. When I moved to Memphis, I never would have guessed that I would be able to find any live music that I would really like. In my head I had totally picked out Memphis as being the home of blues, jazz, and lots of country. Luckily, it draws quite a bit of Indie/Alternative Rock/Pop. On Friday, we headed to this fun little venue in Cooper-Young called the Young Avenue Deli for Devon Allman's (son of Greg Allman, you know who that is... I didn't!) band Honeytribe. It was fun to chill, eat some sweet potato fries :-), and listen to them rock it out on stage.
There he is!
Second, the miles. As I shared in my last post, I slogged through the Forrest Spence 5K on Saturday morning. Afterwards, I hit up the market, and said "hi" to Will and the doggies at the pet-sitting tent. :-) Late in the afternoon, we met up with our friend Sandeep and started our great "bike-venture". We rode through town until we met up with the head of the "greenline" bike trail. This trail takes you all the way from town out to the lovely park, Shelby Farms. At one point, we stopped to drink some water and I saw a perfectly good banana just laying on the trail...apparently someone had dropped it while biking along. So Will and I split it. Haha.  In the end, I think we did almost 30 miles of biking. After all that exercise, I slept like a baby that night!
The sweaty trio!
Today, it was back to work! First stop was the donut shop to pick up some breakfast treats for staff meeting (it took every ounce of self-control not to eat them before my run!), then off to meet my fellow StarRunners in Overton Park at 6AM for a 4 mile jog before speeding over to the VA to shower and spend my day trying to convince our vets to eat healthier! This week should fly by as I'm in mentoring/coaching training at work all day Wednesday and part of Thursday. Then, on Friday morning I'm flying out to meet Will in Albuquerque! Should be fun times! I'll be sure to keep y'all updated.

PS- I totally just had to look up how to spell Albuquerque...

No comments:

Post a Comment