Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Distance From Farm... to Fork!

Well, the shorter the better I say! :-) Yesterday I indulged in my first ever 5 course meal. It was so incredibly delicious and filling, I think I am still trying to recover... Will's b-day is coming up on Thursday, so to start celebrating, I had made us reservations to this "Farm to Fork" dinner at McEwan's in town. These dinners are part of a series of meals geared towards making the most of the produce available at the market at that point in the season. Here's a bit of a recap of our dinner. (My terrible photography just doesn't do it justice!)
Course 1:
From right to left: Chilled gazpacho soup, sweet corn flan, and purple-hull pea hummus. (I so want to try to recreate the gazpacho and hummus at home! The flan, I'll leave to the pros... haha)
Course 2:
Heirloom tomato salad with balsamic vinegar, goat cheese, argula, watermelon, and basil sorbet (that's the little green ball at the top!). I still wish I could have had more of that sorbet. It was delightfully sweet, citrusy, and... refreshing!
Course 3:
Cornmeal crusted fried catfish with greens sauteed with spiced peaches. I loved the spicy-tangy-bitterness of the greens. Mmmm.
Course 4:
Flank steak over a chili infused creamy polenta. Confession time. I ate the majority of the steak. I know. I know. I'm a terrible vegetarian. But I just couldn't let this course go to waste! Plus, it met my criteria of being locally, humanely, hormone-freely raised. So, you'll let it slide this time... right?
Course 5:
My favorite part of any meal... dessert! Here, they had a roasted peach ice cream with local pecan homemade cookies. I'm starting to drool!

Of course I won't be doing any more 5 course dinners for a long time! Yet, it was a lovely time, fantastic food, and probably the most enjoyable way to support the Memphis Farmer's Market!
The Handsome Birthday Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment