Thursday, July 14, 2011

Out on a Limb

This has been kind of a crazy week! The reason for the craziness is this... I joined this running group called "StarRunners"! After lots of "hemming and hawing" I finally signed myself up and committed to running 5x's a week with everyone for the next 10 weeks. (I feel a bit like I'm back in cross country in college!) You see, here's the thing. I wasn't having much luck making many friends in any of the places I have found myself spending the majority of my time here in Memphis (ie. work, the farmer's market, etc). I also know that the people who I would like to hang out with and vice versa would likely share my interests... like running. (Go figure!) So, I bit the bullet, paid the training fee and joined the group, and guess what? I think I am making friends. :-) There are some really friendly people in the group and since I'll be spending a lot of time with them, I hope some may even last beyond the race, ie. the Cooper-Young 4-miler. The group also happens to offer training for the St. Jude half-marathon which happens in December, so I signed up for that as well! What have I gotten myself into! Haha. I think this will all be a good thing. It's made me get out, meet some new people, as well as give me a "hobby".
One of the entertaining parts of this whole thing is that we do 2 of the weekly runs at 6AM, which means I have to shower at work... It's not so bad. The nursing locker room is pretty secluded. However, the first day I showered one of the nurses came in and tentatively asked me, "Are you male or female?". WHAT?! Haha. I guess she was afraid one of the patients had wandered in to use the shower? Lol. Who knows.
Other things to note this week:
-I think I've created my favorite smoothie so far... banana peanut butter! (Maybe there's a reason I ended up in Memphis. Elvis and I have the same taste in food! Haha.)
-Running in 100 degree weather and 100% humidity is no joke.
-Have you ever found yourself in a "food jag"? I am totally in one right now. The food of choice? (don't laugh!) Hard-boiled eggs. lol. Maybe I haven't been getting enough protein in my life?
-Working on finishing the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett. So far, so good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment