Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ode to Soy Sauce

I don't know how it happened. Maybe it was when Will made these sesame soy marinated eggplant slices one evening in Cleveland... but I am totally obsessed with marinating veggies with just a bit of soy sauce! It's just the perfect combination of deep flavor and saltiness that can make anything delicious! For dinner last night and this evening I had those same sesame soy marinated eggplant slices Will made based on a recipe by one of my fave cookbook writers, Mark Bittman.
That's the eggplant in the background :-)
Here's what I did to make these...
1.)Thickly slice a few (I did 4) small eggplants (peel them if they aren't totally firm)
2.)Spread the slices in a layer in a cookie sheet.
3.)Sprinkle with olive oil.
4.)Broil for 10ish minutes. Turning the slices over at around 5 minutes or so..
5.)While the eggplant cooks, mix together 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, minced garlic and pepper (You may have to double that for a bigger batch of eggplants).
6.)At 7 minutes or so, spread the soy-sesame marinade over the slices and let them finish broiling. (They should be pretty soft when they're done).
Enjoy!

BTW- This is basically the same kind of marinade I've used on broccoli with similar, tasty success!
--
Tonight I headed to the library and came home with another big pile of books! I didn't post a review this week, because the last I had picked up I just couldn't finish. :-/ This round promises to have a few winners though!!
Only one more day 'til the weekend! Since I worked the weekend/holiday I have Friday off. More than anything I am so excited to spend some quality time with my pillow. I can't seem to myself out of drowsiness fog I've been in. Now it's time to hit the books! Woot, woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment