Sunday, July 24, 2011

Queen of Clutz


Just like I've come to terms with the fact that I have big, unruly hair, I've also had to accept the fact that I am a bit of a clutz. Seriously. Some days I feel like the sidewalk, stairs, doors, and walls are out to get me. At first, I figured I'd grow out of it. I had a growth spurt in junior high where my newly developed long legs left me uncoordinated and unsteady on me feet. (Adding a set roller skates to the mix at "all-school skates" and you get the idea why I was never asked to "couple-skate"!). Surely, I would have learned by now how to be coordinated, but of course, no such luck. I'll always be a klutz. At one point in Cleveland I thought I may have to invest in knee and elbow pads I kept falling so much. For example, the very first time I went running with Charis, maybe one week after I had met her, I fell flat on my face on the sidewalk. Over the course of a year and half, I probably fell at least half a dozen more times and I've got the scars and wounded pride to prove it! Charis eventually learned to almost expect it on our runs. Haha. It gets worse when I'm nervous - like when I had to introduce myself to a room full of diabetes experts at this training conference we attended as interns and I knocked over my chair (twice!) in front of everyone!! Lol.
Milton!!
Now, for the real point of this lengthy background...! On Saturday, a funny (and albeit embarrassing!) thing happened while I was pet sitting. At the beginning of my shift I was handed a dog medium size dog named Milton. He was pretty chill, so I hadn't had to keep a real tight grip/eye on him while his owners shopped. Since I hadn't been there when his owners dropped him off, I didn't know what they looked like, but Milton was sure to recognize them! All of a sudden, as this young couple approached the tent, Milton jumps up, runs under the sign in table, and pulls me with him! Of course, since I was attached the other end of his leash and he passed under the table, I slammed into it and knocked the whole thing over! Coffee, dog biscuits, tips, and papers flew everywhere!!! Milton was totally oblivious to all the chaos he caused but his owners were definitely apologetic. Really, it was just me who was the embarrassed one! What a way to start my shift! Lol.
After the pet-sitting fiasco, I thought I had worked out all of my clumsy for the day... but no. As I was walking in front of my building, my sandal caught the edge of a heavy metal ring that encases these lights embedded in the sidewalk. I somehow managed to pull it out of it's hole and basically drop kick it. Owweee! I quickly glanced around, hoping no one saw me (I think I was in the clear!) and limped the rest of the way home. The top of my foot had a lovely goose-egg on it yesterday!
By now, I've come to expect to be embarrassed in front of others and to just get-up, brush off, and laugh at myself. If only my clutzy-ness wasn't quite so painful! Haha. The rest of my weekend was busy, busy, busy. That's a good thing though, I think! My running group had a get-together at the Celtic, which was a nice time to just chill on the patio with a cold brew. Today, Will and I attended a planning session for the Harvest Celebration, which is a big fundraiser for the farmer's market. It sounds like it is quite the shin-dig and as volunteers helping coordinate the event, we'll get in free. :-) The people that run the market are all super friendly and this seemed like a great opportunity to get to know them better. These days, I'm finally starting to feel like I'm starting to get my roots worked into the community - and making Memphis feel like home.
Not quite yet, but someday?!

No comments:

Post a Comment