Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday "Fun"Day!

"Gonna shake hands around the world; down by the riverside; down by the riverside..." The weather has become absolutely gorgeous here in Memphis this weekend. It has finally cooled down so that the high temperature is now lingering the lower 70's (as opposed to the mid 80's last week). So much more pleasant! Fall? Please?! Therefore, I've been trying to enjoy every minute of it. Since I went attempted rollerblading yesterday evening I wanted do something different today since cross training was on my half marathon schedule. I thought to myself, this sunset was meant to be enjoyed on the seat of a bike! Will and I rode along the river past the Pyramid and then to Mud Island, soaking up the sunset as we went along.
Happy for sunny fall-ish days!
Of course, I must admit, the Mud Island bike ride wasn't totally for the enjoyment of the weather and great outdoors. We had pizza on the brain! Mud Island is also home to one of the better pizza places in Memphis, and Mondays are $10 1-topping pizza nights. Sweet!
All that biking made someone hungry! ;-)
Today was also a "fun" day at work since I talked to this really entertaining patient and his wife about his diet post Nissen "fun"doplication surgery (hehe!). They do this surgery for patients who have a lot of acid reflux and/or a hiatal hernia. Basically they take the top of your stomach and wrap it around the bottom of your esophagus to reinforce the muscle/valve that is there. Anyways, I had quite the entertaining conversation with this guy about preventing gas and alleviating diarrhea. Yep, that's
Here's what it looks like...
right. The job of a dietitian isn't as glamorous as you may think. I talk to patients everyday about gas, diarrhea, bowel movements (or lack thereof), nausea, acid reflux, etc. I guess he was having a bit of this "gas bloat syndrome" some people develop after this surgery as a result of making the valve too tight so they can't burp.  Instead, he has to wait uncomfortably for it to come out the other end...
Anyways, days like this remind me how, as with most things in life, it really helps to have a sense of humor!

PS- Another new thing that I learned today from my office-mate?!

Not kidding! Eat candy corn and salted peanuts together and it becomes a PayDay explosion in your mouth! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment