Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pushing the Limit

No kidding!

9 miles. 9 miles is definitely enough to intimidate. So far, the runs I have done with the group StarRunners have peaked at 7. For some reason, 7 miles felt totally fine last week. In fact, it was pretty awesome. Tagging on an extra 2 however, just put me over the edge. It may not just be the distance, but also a little something to do with that caution sign - it isn't to be taken lightly! When the schedule listed this as a "hilly" run, that was no joke! The city of Memphis is relatively flat so we had to drive out to Meeman Shelby State Park to find these babies. Since we did a lollipop shaped loop through the park, there were 3 hills to tackle twice on the "stick" part of the loop. I'll admit, I had to walk a few feet the second time around! The one embarrassing thing about hills is that they make me breathe sooo hard, I'm sure I sound like a freight train fighting it's way up a mountain. (I'm like the "Little Engine that Could"! - Only not so cute... and much sweatier...)  Everyone else seems to be able to pass so quietly! Not fair! Although, I guess it could be considered a good thing as I'd definitely ward off any bears if I were running in the woods by myself. I most certainly make enough noise to scare them off! Haha.
Now that the torture is over though, I remember what it is about running that I love so much. There is definitely a certain thrill in being able to push yourself that hard for that many miles, which is rewarding. Plus, I find so much serenity in being able to put on my headphones, start my watch, and let my mind go as I find my pace. On hard runs like today, it's not only physically taxing, but mentally as well. You have to work hard to convince yourself that you indeed can make it to the crest of that last hill, even though all of your muscles are shouting "NO!". (This explains the reason for the comatose state in which I walked around the garage sales with Will this morning! Lol.) Also, it's sort of addicting. Races instill a sense of competition within yourself. Can I beat my last 5K time? Can I break that 2 hour Half Marathon mark? Another reason I love running? It's been a great way for me to meet some new people and make new friends here in Memphis!

No comments:

Post a Comment