Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Soup(er) Start to My Week!

At the Farmer's Market this weekend, I picked up a head of broccoli and a humongous bag of mustard greens. I sauteed a few greens on Sunday with some garlic and sesame oil which turned out well, but I was still overwhelmed with large pile that remained in my vegetable draw. It had been a while since Will and I cooked together, so I suggested we come up with a greens based soup. It turned out pretty well I must say! :-)
Green Goblin Soup/Bisque
(We didn't really use a recipe, so I'll do the best I can trying to recall the ingredients!)
Ingredients:
-2 tbsp butter
-2 tbsp flour
-1 1/2 - 2 cups milk
-1/4 cup shredded cheese
-1 medium sized broccoli floret (chopped)
-3-4 cups of mustard greens
-2 cloves garlic
-1/2 onion
-2 cups broth
-Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
To make the roux:
1. Melt butter in small sauce pan. Cook until it just starts to bubble/brown. Add the flour and stir vigorously to incorporate. Once combined, slowly add the milk about 1/2 cup at a time. Stir after each milk addition and heat to thicken until sauce-like before adding next 1/2 cup. Continue to cook until thickened to desired consistency. Mix in cheese and stir until melted.
To make the soup:
1. In a separate pan, melt another tbsp of butter. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for just 1 minute. Next add the broth and the green vegetables.
2. Simmer vegetables with the lid on the pot for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the vegetables are softened.
3. In a food processor, combine 1/2 of the roux and 1/2 of the cooked vegetables and blend. Pour into bowl and continue with the next batch. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Feel free to add any other seasonings! We threw in a dash of paprika!)

Of course, I served mine up with a grilled cheese on the side because seriously, there is no better companion for soup than grilled cheese. It's like peanut butter and jelly. Or a good book and a cup of coffee. Or Batman and Robin. They belong together. :-0

No comments:

Post a Comment