Monday, June 27, 2011

Anne Frank Obsession

You know that 2:30 feeling you get after your lunch has settled, you are at least 5 hours post-morning coffee jitters, and you just want to take a nap more than anything? (Why do only Kindergartner's get to have afternoon nap-time!) I was totally slammed with that feeling a little early this afternoon! (At 1:00!). I don't know what is wrong with me but I still haven't been able to shake myself out of my zombiness. Oi. Perhaps I'll sleep well tonight!!

As usual, I am totally nerding out and going to mention yet another book. Last night, I sat down and finished one of the latest novels I had picked up - Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It made me flash back to junior high when everyone is assigned to read Anne Frank's Diary. I was so obsessed with her story (what 13 year old girl isn't?? Ok, so I guess I'm the weird one...). Her honest confessions about the confusion of growing up and unique perspective on the war were fascinating. When I went to Berlin a few years ago, I made sure to stop at some of their WWII/Holocaust memorials and was totally awestruck.

This book by de Rosnay intertwines the story of a young Jewish girl Sarah and a modern-day journalist Julia Jarmond. Julia is given an assignment to write a piece on the events of the war in Paris and finds herself on a mission to understand the fate of this single girl, Sarah. I could almost see myself as a bit of a Julia myself, becoming totally wrapped up in solving the mystery of what became of this girl and her family. Anyways, I can't give too much away, but I would definitely recommend this read!
Berlin, 2009
On a totally different note... I made my usual overnight oatmeal topped with a chopped peach last night. It was honestly the best yet. These MFM peaches I picked up are so juicy and decadent. I'm soooo glad I decided to pick up 2 quarts instead of one on Saturday!
Beautiful!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVED "Sarah's Key", too! In fact, we seem to have a lot of the same reading (AND food!) interests. Great blog, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks an awful lot like what I ate for breakfast this morning! :) Remember in H.S. whenever we would go out to eat you and I would always split whatever we got? Looks like our tastes are still pretty similar, despite the fact that we haven't been around each other for years!

    ReplyDelete