Monday, June 20, 2011

Food on my Mind

I hope ya'll had a wonderful weekend! Monday always comes around way too quickly. When I was mulling over my weekend, I realized just how much of it revolved around food! As an RD, I seriously think I talk about, think about, dream about and eat(!) food all day, every day! Well, ok, so I did take a break to appreciate some local art. :-)
Let's see, on Friday we went to Bosco's where I enjoyed this hearty black bean and goal cheese tamale. Yum!


Afterwards, we browsed a couple of art openings in Midtown. Both were drastically different from one another. At one gallery, the artist used ancient Apple computers he had dug up while dumpster diving and "beatified". They kind of reminded me of the shadow boxes I made a few times in elementary school...

The next gallery showcased some art that was just exploding with color! Personally, I think this painting was my fave. :-) They also had some really impressive works of art glass as well as some things done in bronze. Will and I even got a little lesson in how the bronze artist creates that colors on the metal.
I totally look like an art connoisseur. Kidding!
Looking at all that art made us hungry for some dessert! Yolo has become an almost weekly stop for us. :-)

Saturday, after fun times at the market, we headed to Whole Foods to gather a few things that just can't be locally produced (like bananas, coconut milk, and almond butter...). Afterwards, Will cooked up these cute stuffed patty pan squash "cupcakes"! He filled them with sauteed mushrooms, parmesan cheese, garlic, and white onion then "iced" them with white bean puree. Love! I contributed by cooking the catfish we had alongside. (Not as impressive... but still tasty!) I tried to create a "rub" with chopped cilantro, ginger, sugar, oil, and S+P. Then I pan sauteed it just a bit and finished it off in the oven. Not too shabby.
He's so creative! :-)
For breakfast on Sunday, we cooked up some crepes (after a few failed crepe pan flips-flops along the way...), filled them with warmed goat cheese, and topped with MFM berry compote.
Ok, so this is a terrible pic! It doesn't do it justice!
Goodness. I am getting hungry all over again just writing this... Anyways, I hope gives you a little better idea of why I'm obsessed with food. :-) I only wish I could better teach the Vets/anyone I talk to daily that food can be fun, tasty, and healthy. So many of my patients tell me how they don't like any vegetables (except potatoes!), that fruit is only acceptable in the form of gallons of juice, and protein is limited to bologna, sausage, or bacon! It doesn't have to be that way! Skittles aren't the only way you can "taste the rainbow"! Just take a trip to your local farmer's market! Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your vets eat as well as my kids every time I ask parents if their kids like vegetables they proudly answer Oh yeah they love corn and potatoes, and they are great meat eaters too (Hot dogs)..... Yeah, Sigh.

    ReplyDelete