Friday, June 17, 2011

I Love Breakfast

Seriously. It's my favorite meal of the day. Most nights I fall asleep thinking, "Soon it will be breakfast! Hmm.. what should I have...?". I think the reason I am so obsessed with the first (important!) meal of the day is that you can go for savory or sweet (dessert for a meal? Yes, please!!). Plus, coffee is the beverage of choice. (And if you know me, you know how much I love coffee!) I am drooling just thinking about it... waffles, pancakes, omelets, crepes, breakfast burritos, cereal, toast, bagels, muffins, hash browns, yogurt, fruit, smoothies and the best breakfast entree of them all - OATMEAL! In college I learned to love it. It's cheap. It's filling. And it's extremely versatile. Therefore, I thought I would share something new I tried. Summer has most definitely arrived here in the South and I was starting to get concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep up my oatmeal habit because as I was eating in the AM I would get soo hot, I'd start sweating! Haha.A delicious solution? Overnight oatmeal!
Hidden inside this bowl:
-1/2 cup oatmeal
-1/2 cup skim milk
-1/2 cup plain yogurt
-Handful of blueberries
-1-2 tbsp ground flax seed (for healthy Omega 3s!)
Stir together and refrigerate overnight. In the AM, I added the following:
-1/2 banana
-1/4 cup cocoa krispies
Tada! Chilled oatmeal ready to eat! :-)

The only down side is that this morning I had no more half-and-half left for my coffee so I made a trip just down the street for an Americano to take in with me to work - because I couldn't very well function without my caffeine fix!
PS - Just for kicks here's what I packed for lunch today... (now you have an idea what an RD - the "nutrition expert" eats!)

3 comments:

  1. Deb! This sounds delicious! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've been meaning to make overnight oats for a while now, since I stumbled along your link to Eat Live Run. I've been making things I've never thought I would! Thanks for linking to it! It's probably my favorite food blog! Anyway what has been stopping me from making these glorious creations is the texture. Do they come out real mushy? I hope all is well in Memphis it looks like a pretty awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Sam! The texture is a cross between chewy and mushy. That's why I always add something crunchy on top like nuts or granola or cereal. :-)

    ReplyDelete