Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Spinach... for Breakfast!


Today, I thought I would try something totally different. Something a little weird. I had come across a few recipes in my blog stalking and recipe site browsing for a "green smoothie". Hmm. Spinach in my smoothie? The recipe writers all claimed I would not be able to even guess there was spinach in my glass. Heck. I'll give it a shot! Here's breakfast this morning!
Breakfast served with salad... to drink!
Green Smoothie Recipe:
1 cup skim milk
1 cup(ish) fresh spinach
1 banana
2 tsp ground flax seed

The result? Well, it definitely didn't make me want to shout about it's deliciousness from the rooftop... however, it was a fun experiment. The taste was strange and the only way I can describe it is.... grassy? I may try to experiment with the recipe a bit though and see if I couldn't work something out. Or maybe spinach just isn't meant to be in a glass. :-/ I definitely enjoyed my almond butter and jam toast though!

On another note, I finished another book the other night! Gone with a Handsomer Man by Micheal Lee West. It was an enjoyable mix of cheezy romance, intrigue, and murder mystery (minus the gore!). Definitely a beach/pool/vacation/long weekend kind of read - moves quickly and keeps you entertained the whole way through. :-) Plus, the protagonist is a baker/food lover (woman after my own heart!) so West throws in some interesting foodie things and even a couple of recipes!
Check it out!
I just started another good historical fiction novel yesterday. I'll have to tell ya about it in a couple days. Now, off to bed. It's been a bit of a hectic week at work battling hypertension one vet at a time through low sodium diet education! :-)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb! I am posting a comment ;o) because I didn't know how else to contact you! My name is Lynn, and I live in PA. Your dad and my husband, are friends, and apparently they were talking blogs one day! ;o) (I keep a blog, too... http://lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com/ )
    Anyway, a few days later your dad sent us the link to your blog. I love it and I am now following it. Nice to *meet* you! --Lynn

    ReplyDelete