Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm a Nerd.

I admit it. I realize I'm a total nerd. I knew I could learn to like Memphis the first time I visited their main library and practically got lost wandering its 4 stories. They even have escalators... and bright pink and yellow life size trees(!). The other equally great part about having such a large library handy is that I no longer have homework to hinder me from indulging in reading. Yippee!
In the last week I've been doing a lot of reading actually. I've discovered the "reshelving" shelf where all the latest, most popular books wash up before their lost in the sea of shelves on the rest of the floors. Last week I came home from work one day and picked up Room by Emma Donaghue. It was basically glued to my face until I turned the last page at close to midnight when I passed out in bed. I was totally entranced by this book from the first page. The entire story is told through the eyes of a five year old boy as he recounts his daily life as a captive with his mother inside a single room. I can't really say too much more about the plot or I'd give it away. So, you'll have to read it. I promise it won't disappoint. :-)
Another good read I just finished this evening was called Ape House by Sara Gruen (she's the one who wrote Water for Elephants). I seriously love this author! This is the second book of her's that I have picked up and just been swept away by how artfully she spins her story. Ape House recounts the capture and rescue of a group of bonobo monkeys. I had no idea that bonobos could learn American Sign Language! This was definitely another great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment